Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Redefining my blog (and myself!)

For a few years now, my blog has been called "Frenzied Vegan" because that's EXACTLY how I felt at any given time.

My high-stressed lifestyle fueled by sugar and carbs led to adrenal fatigue and may have contributed to my endometriosis.  These health concerns have led to profound change. I've had to bring consciousness into my life by pointing the flashlight and the microscope into all of those dirty crevices as I do my internal housecleaning.

"Frenzied Vegan" is no longer my mantra. In the yoga tradition, mantra is that which is repeated so that your mind associates with and becomes that word or phrase. Do I want to be a frenzied...anything? Not anymore.

I'm done living off of my adrenaline rush. I'm in a different place now.

If you are reading this, you are part of a fortunate few that will henceforth benefit from my wisdom.

Haha, just kidding. But seriously, if you're like me and consider yourself a sugar-crazed carb addict who can't eat just one of anything, well you're in good company. And I'd like to share a few things I'm doing differently based on my work with a health coach.


Stop--time to recalibrate.  You can be who you really are, right now.  Who are you?

Listening to my gut.
I have never been one to trust my gut. I feel like what seems like a "gut feeling" is really just my overactive mind. But I'm practicing listening to that still small voice that is my intuition and honoring it.  Because who "I Am" is in there, but if I don't see her, she cannot reveal herself.

Taking small steps.
I have defined myself as a sugar addict for years.  What it does for me is something that nothing else has been able to do for me. So not eating sugar can be a challenge. But today I take small steps. Walking away from a box of cookies - even if it's only for five seconds or five minutes - is progress for me. If I eat something unhealthy, I don't have to use my old script: "Oh, shit, you're screwed now. You've totally blown it. You are a failure!" I can, instead, tell myself "Hey, that was delicious, and now let's look at why you ate that. Were you hungry? Were you stressed? Let's add things that will help you make a healthier choice next time." 

Deep breaths.
One deep breath can have a profound effect on me - whether in that moment, or that minute or day. It brings me back to who I Am, and gives me a moment to check in with myself. Am I playing old scripts or participating in old stress-consumed behaviors? One deep breath, several times a day, has become ingrained in me and has brought consciousness into my body and mind.

Discarding ideas of right and wrong.
I have been very rigid in my life. But today, I am redefining myself. I am flexible, I can eat what I want today and it won't mess up my eating for the next few days, I can break the rules without shaming myself, I can do what I can and not feel guilty that I haven't done enough. I'm good, it's all good, right here and now. Deep breath.

Now, if you can relate to any of this, I encourage you, right now, to take a deep breath, and decide who you want to be. Not how you acted yesterday, or how you are behaving in this moment, but who you really are, underneath all of these conceptions about yourself. You can do this. You are right where you need to be. Let's take one small step forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment