Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stylish Blogger Award

Thank you, Cheryl (from the Midlife Vegan blog), for passing along this award.  I feel special!  Cheryl and I cook in a similar way (simple, healthy, lots of veggies included)!  And in my opinion, even our photos are really similar.  She's the only other blogger that I've seen to post a photograph of a cross section of a head of cabbage!

More exciting than getting the award was discovering all the new blogs from Cheryl's 10 recipients!

In the tradition of the Stylish Blogger Award, I will now tell you 7 things about myself and pass the award along to 10 recently discovered bloggers.

My husband (doesn't he look like a meat-eater?) and our oldest dog when he was nine months old.



1.  My comfort food of choice is cream of wheat, roasted in Earth Balance, made with almond milk, flavored with saffron and cardamom, and sweetened with molasses or plain old sugar.  2.  I am tall (5'10") and thin (around 135 lbs) and people always assume it's because I'm vegan and I've also been accused of having an eating disorder (I don't).  3.  My moral values about using eco-friendly chemical-free products stop at my neck.  When it comes to my hair, I'm appalled at what I will put on my own head in order to look good.  4.  If I finish, I should have a Master's Degree in Human Development in the next two years.  5.  If I had to choose a religion to join and follow, it would be either Jainism or Judaism.  6.  I am married to my exact opposite.  My meat-loving corporate software sales guy tells people that if it were up to me we'd be walking around naked on the Big Sur coast playing Peter Paul and Mary songs on our secondhand guitars.  He's probably right.  7.  I have a secret obsession with preparing myself for the next major natural disaster or maybe armageddon.  For now, I create small crises to fill time.



Now, the fun part!  The "recently discovered" part may be tricky but I'll try my best!  Since many of my "recently discovered" blogs are not related to vegan diets I'll categorize them for you.

1. Dandelion Vegan Blog.  (Vegan) I was happy to come upon this recent discovery, for sure.  There's something very "home cookin'" about Rose's style and my kitchen has already seen creations inspired by Rose.
2.  Raw Bento.  (Vegan? Raw food) I love Yu's blog, her photos, and her cute little recipes.  I even used this one at the preschool on valentine's day, but instead of making a brownie I scooped out balls and put the pink frosting on top!  We called them "Valentine's Day Candy" (see photo above).  I think she's vegan but I'm really not sure.
3.  Bohemian Single Mom.  (Life) Okay, this is nothing about vegan but I really look forward to her posts.  She writes in a way that keeps me grounded in spirituality despite what else is going on in life.  Go meet her.  You'll see what I'm talking about.
4.  Fancy that, fancy this.  (Life) Again, not a vegan blog but seriously entertaining.  Ameena is my polar opposite yet I find myself living vicariously through her blog.  I'm guessing you will love it or hate it depending on your attitudes toward men, marriage, and materialism.  I would give this the "most cathartic blog" award.
5.  The Global Vegan.  (Vegan) Thank you, Aimee, for bringing consistency and simplicity into my life.  Aimee posts regularly and her posts always provide good food, good photos, and easy recipes!
6.  Manjula's Kitchen.  (Vegetarian) Although Manjula-ji is not a vegan, I find I can easily veganize her Indian recipes.  She posts videos...videos, I said!!!
7.  Vegan Thyme.  (Vegan) Even though it's an oldie but goodie, I just discovered this one a few days ago. Kelly writes about my favorite things: vegan food, gardening, and dogs!
8.  Brick by Brick. (Preschool) I know Scott from the preschool blogosphere, and I had to add his name on here for two reasons.  1.  Male bloggers, represent!  And 2.  He has a great reflective and introspective style that I love and try to embody myself.
9.  Two Little Yoga Monkeys.  (Life) She's awesome.  She tapes her kids to the wall.
10.  The Healthy Advocate.  (Health) I like Brandon's blog because he reminds me of why I eat the way I do and he's scientific about it.  My favorite post of his to date describes his experience on the raw food diet.

And how about a nod to my tried-and-true favorite vegan bloggers: Ali, Angela, Chloe, and SusanV!

*Stephanie*

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the award Stephanie!

    It's fun to read your list and get to know you a little better. And, I agree that it's a wonderful way to find out about new blogs! I'm looking forward to checking out the bloggers on your list and on Cheryl's.

    Walking on the beach au naturel singing songs sounds good to me! Funny how you and your hubby are opposites; sometimes it just works well in a complimentary sort of way! Sometimes, I think my hubby and I are too much alike.

    I haven't eaten cream of wheat since I was a kid; your rendition of it sounds good; I'll have to give it a try.

    Oh, and I tend to prepare for disasters too! Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Stephanie. I was just visiting your blog to look again at your supplement recommendations and came across this post. I really appreciate your kind words....make me feel good. xoxo
    Aimee
    P.S. The Big Sur walk sounds pretty good to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your comment about your oldest dog. We refer to our felines similarly. BTW the end of item number 7 made me LOL you are a riot.

    I hope you are having a good weekend,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so honored that you consider my blog "cathartic!" Truly, you are too kind. Thank you so much for the award and for reading - it means so much to me.

    I actually think we have a lot in common! I am tall and thin and people ask me if I have an eating disorder all the time. I also do not. And seriously? I don't care what a product has in it, if it's going to make my hair look decent than I'm going to use copious amounts of it. :)

    Wonderful post! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete