Monday, December 20, 2010

Holiday Baking. None of these are sugar free!

December, december, december.  If you are my blogger friend, you probably think I disappeared.  I haven't been commenting on your blog, I haven't been posting, and I have 500 posts in my Google Reader to catch up on.

But now I'm on vacation for two weeks so things should get a lot less hectic, aside from usual holiday stuff...

...like baking!

Over the weekend a non-vegan friend had a few of us over for a baking day.  I'll share my contributions to the day since none of their baked goods are vegan (uh--not even close!).  We all have a different approach to holiday baking.  The hostess has her list of regular, traditional things: thumbprint cookies, frosted sugar cookies, sprits.  My other friend who comes every year has her favorites (she's not a baker but she's perfected these after doing them each year): peanut butter cookies with a hershey kiss on top and mint frosted brownies.

I, on the other hand, bring something different every year, each time taking a risk that it will be a flop.  I've had about a 50% success rate in the past, but this year was a big success.

At my friend's request, I made these non-vegan caramels as we made these last year and they were a hit:


Then, last night, I found a post about vegan caramels at Tale of Two Vegans:

They're vegan!  And very pretty!  I didn't know this was possible, but I'm definitely going to try these...soon!

We also made Peanut Butter Pillows from the PPK blog:
Hint: do not over-mix the filling or it will be too oily!  I don't think I'll make these part of my regular holiday baking routine...they are a bit oily for a cookie platter and don't hold up during transport very well.  These will be special occasion cookies, though, as everyone loves them.

See how it's dipped in the middle? That's because the initial baking was too short.  Just follow the directions and don't try to make it "better" like I did!  They will be fine.  Our first batch were awesome because we followed the directions.  These will be a regular part of our baking list for the future.

Lastly, Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles (say what?!?) from PPK:
It's almost like it can't decide what it is...chocolate, or snickerdoodle.  But they are yummy, have a great texture, and look awesome, with crackles like snickerdoodles and coated with sugar crystals.  Will definitely be making these again next year.  Maybe mixed up with some regular snickerdoodles for fun.

For the rest of my baking exploits this year I will try to add in some color variety...most likely white and yellow or light brown.  For some reason I just can't pass out plates with all dark brown stuff!



3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    Sugar coma LOL. I hope you aren't sick now. ;-)

    I used to love to make sea salt caramels and homemade marshmallows. Your caramel picture made me hungry. Oh well...I am going to try to be good, darn it! :-(

    Enjoy your time off,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ali, that is a sugar coma! LOL
    I think all of your goodies look pretty though,especially the wrapping on the gingerbread caramels!!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali: Yes! It did make me sick! Last time I overdid it on sugar I felt flu-like, too. So sugar gives me the flu. Good reason not to eat it. This clean vegan body is used to feeling great nowadays.

    Brandi: That's not my photo! I stole it from martha because we didn't take any photos of our caramels. I'll do a separate post on the final wrapping and the vegan caramels. Your holiday baking looks pretty darn good, too!

    ReplyDelete