Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Holes


Vegan Raw-ish Donut Holes
Made 'em (I said I would yesterday!). However, these aren't the pumpkin ones I promised yesterday.  This is an adaptation of several recipes from several sources based on what I had on hand.  I didn't measure anything but here's the rundown:

  1. Soak a cup (or so?) of almonds and after a few hours, take the wrappers off (the brown skin).
  2. Drain really well and dry a bit with a towel
  3. Place in a food processor.
  4. Into the processor, add chia seeds (oh, 1/4 cup?)
  5. Add a drizzle of vanilla or bean
  6. Add a dash or so of cinnamon
  7. Add a drizzle of maple syrup, agave, or stevia (I cheated and used maple syrup, about 1/8 cup?, but they were a tad sweet for my sensitive pallet). To make them truly raw you could use soaked dates but I get sick of date flavored raw sweets.
  8. Add the tiniest pinch of salt that you've ever seen.
  9. Process, scrape, process, scrape, process, scrape
  10. Scoop them with a cookie dough scoop or by hand. Freeze if desired.
Like any raw dessert, it is nothing close to the real thing and no these should probably not be called donut holes.  However, I think I would rather have these than donut holes! And that's coming from a donut addict!

The Gross Version
AND get this. I spent $8 (gads!) on "raw" "live" "blah blah blah" cookies from Whole Foods today and they are gross! I believe the ingredients are cashews, almonds, honey, and chai spice (sounds great, right?) and they were disgusting! I'm making my own darn sweets from now on.

I Do Like The Raw Desserts, But...
That said, I'm going to try not to get too into the dessert stuff because that is just a slippery slope for this addict.  I feel great on the Crazy Sexy Diet. Why change anything?  With the holidays around the corner, I really need to practice just steering clear.

1 comment: