Monday, February 21, 2011

I ate a rainbow today


Rainbow Tacos
Red: Canned diced tomatoes blended with chili powder, garlic, cayenne, and lime juice
Orange: shredded carrot
Green-yellow: avocado + mango + pinch cayenne + black pepper + lime juice + salt
Dark green: green leaf lettuce (from the CSA box, it's so good I eat it as a snack!)
Blackish-purple: taco meat, inspiration here
Purple: beets, roasted in 375 degree oven with skins on
Browns: homemade wheat tortillas and brown rice (not shown)

Layer on tacos in this order: Blackish-purple, brown rice, red, green-yellow, orange, dark green.

Next time notes: I might use taco seasoning in the tomato sauce instead of making it taste like enchi sauce.  I will also plan ahead so I can prepare some gluten-free tortillas ahead of time (maybe my bean tortillas that I made a while back!)

Omni Notes:  A hungry omnivore who came back from bikram yoga (usually he's craving a huge steak after bikram) was satisfied after eating four of these tacos.  I know he was satisfied because he didn't go make himself a protein shake an hour later, which is what he does when we eat my more typical light, clean meals.  Sometimes when I'm cooking for the omni I add something "bad".  Like, for instance if I had made my bean tortillas I would have made some flour ones as well.  I try to meet him halfway so that I don't completely turn him off to my cooking ; )  Other things I do: add more fat, add margarine, use processed junk from the store like vegan sausages, use pre-made canned stuff (hey, he likes the flavors of those probably because they remind him of grandma's cookin').  The important thing is that I balance this stuff out with lots of colorful and hopefully raw ingredients on the plate.

Time to feed the fur-faces.

1 comment: