Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte

Not too sweet, not too spicy.  



Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
Adapted from Oh She Glows
Original recipe from TheKitchn

In a saucepan, heat until steaming:
1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup coconut milk (or another 1/4 cup almond milk)
1-2 tablespoons sucanat, maple syrup or other sweetener

Whisk the heck out of it.  Once steaming, add:
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
scant 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract (optional, if using omit 1 teaspoon vanilla)


Whisk well.  Blend if desired to get a good foam, otherwise whisk vigorously to get a foam on top.  Fill your mug 1/3 full with coffee and add pumpkin spice mixture to taste.  I ended up with about a 2/3 pumpkin:1/3 coffee ratio.  If you didn't use a blender, serve with a spoon so the drinker can stir as needed.  Garnish with cinnamon if desired.

Makes 1-2 servings.  Side note: I made a whole second batch for myself.  Fueling up for my bike ride!

Comments: I think tax time is giving me an ulcer so I'm cutting back on the black coffee (read: I'm not cutting back on "coffee", I'm cutting back on "black coffee").  I'm hoping that adding some fat will buffer the acidity.  Also, I added such a small amount of sweetener that I'm hoping it won't give me sugar failure (that's the flu-like feeling that I've been getting every time I binge on sugar).

2 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I haven't had any time of warm "milk" drink in so long, they are soothing and relaxing. I'm going to try this soon...I love that it's not too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had some pumpkin on hand. Have a great bike ride!

    ReplyDelete