Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pesto-Stuffed Portabellas


Hi, friends!

I've been totally MIA for a couple of weeks due to food depression.  Yes, food depression.  My husband's lack of willingness to eat my vegan food results in my lack of motivation to blog.  Or read blogs (I'm sorry...I'll catch up with you soon!).

However...that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking.  I think when I'm food depressed, I have as many food fails as I do food successes.  I'll try to share both as I make a reappearance into the blogosphere.

I found these cute little "Stuffing Portabellas" at Trader Joe's and bought them because they looked delicious.  They turned out marvelous-ly.  Food win!

Pesto-Stuffed Portabellas
In a food processor, make pesto by blending
walnuts*
pine nuts
fresh basil or frozen basil cubes
garlic if desired
dollop of olive oil
pinch of salt and black pepper
(use your intuition to get your ratios)

Wash the mushrooms and cut off the stems.  Turn them upside down and place inside:
a small scoop of frozen spinach (it can still be frozen, that's okay)
a handsome scoop of the pesto on top of the spinach
top with fresh cracked black pepper

Place a little Earth Balance or oil in your skillet and set to medium.  When ready, place mushrooms on top and let them brown for just a few minutes.  When you begin to smell the aroma, add 1/4 inch of  vegetable broth and cover your pot.  Let the mushrooms cook until they smell great and are tender, about 15-20 minutes.  If desired, brown them in the oven to dry out the top (I didn't try this but if you want them to have the browned look), but they are great without this step.  They will be very juicy and tender and the aroma will be like heaven.  Save the cooking juices and put them on your rice with your meal.


Comments: Omnivore's Stamp of Approval (he asked for more).  'Nuff said.

I put raw walnuts in almost everything.  I think they are the source of everything good in my diet.

(When I feel like doing something a little less off-the-cuff, I'll try these.)

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    These look and sounds delicious. Very cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my favorite things all wrapped up in one!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food depression. :( I feel for ya. Way to keep cooking though!

    Those mushrooms are lovely, I'm sure they taste divine.

    ReplyDelete