Monday, December 13, 2010

Ranting and raving about being vegan. And my dog. And my bra.

Saturday night, I went to gelato with my friend.  And I didn't buy gelato...I bought sorbet!

It was the first time, even since being vegan, that I visited our local gelato joint and remained dairy-free.  Real (milk) gelato simply did not sound good to me.

The friend I was with asked me if I eat dairy when I go out to eat, and I said no.  But honestly, this is a new thing for me.  Before I was more lenient because eating vegan out in the world can be a challenge.  However, the more I do it, the easier it becomes.  And the thought of eating something with butter or cheese is, well, gross.  It really just doesn't belong in my body anymore!

I did succumb to peer pressure on Friday night, however, as my husband's intoxicated co-worker practically cupcake raped me.  (If you saw it, you would understand).  One bite was enough to remind me how sensitive my pallet is to not only dairy but the crap that they put into refined cupcake mixes and pre-made frosting (I'm trying to keep my gag reflex at bay right now).

I was just telling my husband the other night that I can't believe I'm still a vegan.  I was sure when I started this diet that it would be a phase.  I go through a lot of phases, but this just feels so right.  It feels right like my Snuggie (yes, the 'as seen on TV' snuggie).  It feels right like the sweats my husband is begging me to throw away.  It feels right like the aroma that my dog's slobber leaves on my cheek for me to enjoy for the next hour...

[comes out of daydream state] Oh, um, yeah, vegan.

Just sayin'.  The longer I'm vegan, the more vegan I am.  Next time, I will be using some self-defense techniques before letting cupcake rapists get to me.

And FURTHERMORE...my husband is sick again with a cold (we have preschoolers at our house every day so we're exposed to a plethora of germs).  This is his second time being sick since I was last sick!  This has never happened before in the history of my being a preschool teacher.  Really, ever!  And when I was sick, it did not turn into a sinus infection.  This is a vegan miracle, considering I've never gotten even a small cold without it turning into all out sinusitis.

Go Vegan!

Okay, so I may have slipped due to being force-fed cupcake, but at least I'm not a dog trying to eat and wear a bra at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie -- I love the title of this post! And the rest of it is a good read too! Keep up the good work . . . http://midlifevegan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pup pictures are a riot. I hope there was no destruction in the end.

    Sorry to hear about the cupcake attack. People can be very pushy about food.

    Congrats on staying away from the gelato. This Italian-American knows that is easier said than done.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete