Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Vegan Project Update and Catching Up

...and it's good news!

His cholesterol levels are within the normal range now!  And he totally attributes it to the vegan diet (I'd estimate that 75% of his meals are vegan compared to 30% before I started cooking and blogging).  And this is without the exercise that his doctor suggested.  Diet alone brought down his hereditary high cholesterol.

Success!

Other than that, here is what I've been up to (and what I remembered to photograph) for the last 10 days:

 My best attempt at making cream by simmering down homemade almond milk were absolutely fruitless.  Without adding sugar, it's blander than bland.  Without fat, there's no cream potential in here.  I don't remember what I actually did with this but it looks like I added some saffron : )

Refridge Thai Curry was SO good!  I had kaffir lime leaves and all of the vegetables to make a rockin' curry.  I'm actually tempted to stop blogging and go make some.


 Appreciating the kodak moments during the cooking process.  This is your brain...this is your brain on a vegan diet...any questions???  Nature's gift of complexity.

 And age.  Or disease.  Lesson learned: don't judge a lemon by it's black dirty exterior.

 I have a great relationship with my pressure cooker now.  At first I was a bit bewildered and intimidated by it.  Now it knows I'm in charge.


 There's the thai curry.

 My mac and cheese from Vegan Yum Yum.  I added one sweet potato for extra vitamins.  I used the extra cheesy sauce as a dip the next day.  Delectable for this former cheese addict. 
After baking in the oven.  I thought it was good before and after baking, personally.

 A faux truffle from dates, walnuts, vanilla, and cocoa powder.  Rolled in toasted coconut.  Inspired by Ani Phyo's Chocolate Cake.  Good and pretty and can be rolled in anything to look cute.  But it's still made from dates and walnuts.

 A party in a cake!  If you're willing to eat sugar during this holiday season, check out the Ginger-Macadamia Nut-Coconut Carrot Cake from Vegan with a Vengeance.  Oh my wow.  Crowd pleaser and looks amazing!  I frosted it with her coconut frosting (loaded with sugar, and I felt sick the next day, literally like I had the flu). I brought it to a party and everyone loved it.  Would I eat it again and risk the sugar hangover?  I'll get back to you on that one.

 Dexter's menu is highly predictable and consistent.  Grain-free all meat kibble and whatever the kids drop at lunch time.

 Mitch waits, hopeful, that more food will magically appear in his bowl after he has emptied it.

***

Until next time...I'll try not to let ten days pass before my next post!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the vegan project. I though the cholesterol would come down. The doc told Dan his was hereditary too and yet it plummeted when I changed his diet. I think MDs blame genetics far too quickly.

    Love the pictues of the dogs. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you on that one! Thanks, I thought of you when he told me about his cholesterol. "Ali will be so proud!" : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww cute doggies. Truffles were good.

    ReplyDelete