Sunday, December 26, 2010

Teff Balls, Brussels Sprouts, Marinated Tofu and Two Sauces


Tonight's feed was entirely a one-man show.  I made it, I ate it, I cleaned it all up.  But aren't we worth it?  Isn't it okay to cook even though "he" is eating out?  Of course cereal or a smoothie sounds better, but where in the rule book did it say that I'm cooking mostly for him so if he's not here then most of my reason for cooking is obsolete?  

That was an overboard rant, but I'm not deleting it.

And while I'm being dramatic, I'll present tonight's menu as if it were being presented to me on a menu at a table whereby I'm on a date... with myself.  Head chef: Stephanie.

*  *  * 
Chef Stephanie's Special for 12-26-2010

Tofu Rouge
Tofu in a spiced dijon tomato marinade broiled under high heat for a crisp yet tender filet, served on a bed of fresh, organic lettuce

Choux de Bruxelles
Roasted brussels sprouts with thinly sliced red onion accented with black pepper

Teff Puffs
Miniature bread puffs made from whole grain spelt flour and whole grain teff flour

Cremes du jour
Today's yellow sauce is a cheesy fondue-like sauce made from cashews, nutritional yeast, and a variety of warming spices.  The green sauce is a kale-garlic sauce accented with lemon and black pepper.

Please include a 110% gratuity with all dinner parties.  If you need assistance calculating 110% x $0, please see your waitress, who is also dining with you and is you.
*  *  *

I was going to post recipes, but I'll just give a brief run down.  And here is the jungle that was my plate.


Tofu:  covered in a sauce made of dijon mustard, tomato paste, and better-than-bullion.  Baked on 350 for 15 minutes.

Brussels sprouts: halved and tossed in olive oil with salt, pepper, and red onion.  Baked at 350 for 30 minutes (15 minutes uncovered, then added 1 cup of water and covered for remaining time).

Teff Puffs: 1//2 cup teff flour, 1/2 cup spelt, pinch of salt, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (for fun) and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.  Mixed in food processor and added 1/4 cup almond milk (with s-blade, not dough blade, as it wasn't mixing well).  About 1/2 cup water slowly until the dough began to form a ball.  Took out ball, kneaded for a few minutes, and let rest for 20 minutes.  Shaped into small balls and baked at 350 for about 15 minutes (until crisp on outside).  They were very good!

Sauces:  Cheese sauce-cashews, water, nutritional yeast, onion powder, smoked paprika, a dash of salt, black pepper, and tumeric.  Kale sauce: 6 kale leaves, 1 garlic clove, salt, pepper, tumeric, cayenne pepper, lemon juice (one lemon), blended on high in Vita-mix until warm (about three minutes).  The kale sauce was good with the cheese sauce, but not alone.  It tasted too healthy and kale-ish.  I know it was very healthy, though, so I ate lots of it.

So much for brief!

Will I make this again?  [Drumroll please...] Yes!  Especially the tofu marinade and the teff puffs.  They were so interesting and cute and unique and tasty that they deserve a comeback.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You made me laugh -- and good for you for going to such extra effort for you, glorious you! I'm glad you made the two sauces. After all that, it would be a shame to be disappointed. Good job!

    ReplyDelete