Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chili Dinner

Another 5 star meal! I'm in disbelief at my own awesomeness.


The menu
Sprouted mung beans
Bean chili
Quinoa
Daiya mozzarella-flavored "cheese"

Since Tuesday tends to be a busy day for me, I thought it would be a good day to start dinner in the slow cooker (I chopped everything last night and even drained and rinsed the beans so I'd just have to plop it all in the cooker this morning). After work, I put on some quinoa (brown rice takes too long!) and was eating in no time.


The chili
1 14 oz. can black beans
1 14 oz. can adzuki beans (an experiment...they are a bit light for chili)
1/2 can garbanzo beans
2 medium carrots
1 cup frozen corn
1 small bell pepper
4 cloves of garlic
1 scoop of cumin powder
1 scoop of chili powder
a tablespoon or so of white vinegar
a sprinkling of fenugreek seeds
1 bay leaf
salt
zest and juice of one lime (could have used one more zested and juiced lime)
I know I'm forgetting something...

Slow cooked all day, half the time on low, half the time on high.

I think the absence of tomatoes and onions made this dish even more appetizing for me.

(Side note: Yesterday's kitchari got two of my omni co-workers' stamp of approval today).


The Vegan Project Update
He loved his lunch today (spelt tortilla wraps with vegan mayo, mustard, spinach, cranberries, sunflower seeds, and garbanzo beans) and he is excited to come home for chili dinner!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the vegan project is going well. Did your hubby like the chili? That is one of husband's favorite meals.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so I see you've already been to Ali's site. :-)

    The chili looks lovely, though since we (hubby) grew about 400 pounds of tomatoes in our garden this year, I definitely include them in my chili!

    Do you just not like tomatoes and onions? Allergy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy,
    I love tomatoes...sometimes. And I don't like them at all sometimes. I think there are times when I need them and sometimes I don't, and my taste changes accordingly. I wish we had homegrown tomatoes like you, though!

    ReplyDelete