Friday, October 15, 2010

Sweet and Savory Pizza, Oh My!


Oh, my!


It's the closest thing I've had to pizza since becoming vegan.

Pizza--5 stars!!!
Dough
I used store bought whole wheat dough (next time--a gluten-free crust for us)

"Cheese" layer: Chef Chloe's Garlic White Bean Puree
1 can white canellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon dried thyme (I used lemon thyme)
3 cloves garlic, peeled (this was a bit too much; next time I'll use 1-2)
juice of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Combine in food processor until smooth

Toppings
I adapted this part just a tad
Pre-cut butternut squash (I had a raw one but I was lazy). I baked it for twenty minutes on 400 before adding it to the pizza.
1 cup chopped spinach (this goes right on top of the bean puree layer)
1 apple, thinly sliced and some of it diced
a few crimini mushrooms (also baked for a while before adding to pizza)
salt and pepper

I rolled out the dough very thin before adding the bean spread and the toppings.

I also used the bean dip for dipping my pizza in afterward (we used to like dipping our pizza in ranch dressing, so this was a more than adequate substitute).

Before baking (so fresh! so savory!):


Tristan made his own pizza because mine didn't sound traditional enough for him.
But it looked pretty good, and he ate most of it!
The Vegan Project Update (countdown):
Saturday is his last vegan day. I seriously think he's looking forward to being done, but I don't really know. My intention was to force feed him lots of fruit smoothies and veggie salads this week but I haven't had much time for kitchen stuff this week. His cholesterol check is scheduled for Saturday. I'm a little curious about how that will turn out.

Hope your week is going beautifully!

4 comments:

  1. Your pizza sounds great to me.

    I hope the cholesterol test goes well! Any idea what your hubby will do if "the vegan project" worked? *fingers crossed*

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes, Ali! I think he is looking forward to a less restricted diet, I don't know why (maybe my own negative thinking). My fingers are crossed, too.

    Based on what I think your tastes are, I think you'll love the pizza, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was Tristan's test? Pizza looks yummy. Was it gluten free as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He never went yesterday! Maybe he will go today or tomorrow. Hopefully he will eat vegan until then to get accurate results!

    ReplyDelete