Friday, October 8, 2010

Thai Coconut Rice and Veggie Sushi



Last night's dinner was Super Easy Thai Coconut Rice from VeganDad. I'm embarrassed to say I only served that for dinner because I was tired from work and in a hurry to run out the door. It was delicious, and good for Tristan's transition to vegan cuisine. It offers satisfaction from the fatty coconut milk and intense flavors from the curry mixes. I will *asterick where I made adaptations.

Thai Coconut Rice
5 stars

3 cups brown rice* (recipe calls for two, but I wanted leftovers and this gave four servings)
1 bag asian mix frozen veggies (I would use fresh next time)
2 Tbsp Thai curry paste
4 Tbsp lemon grass slices* (the recipe calls for lemon grass paste but I subbed for lemon grass slices that I found in the Asian food section at Whole Paycheck)
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 small can coconut milk
tofu, cubed and browned in oil* (protein for the honey)
avocado cut in squares to garnish

I followed the instructions from the OP's link in order so go to VeganDad for the step-by-step.

My husband sent me a text to tell me he loved it, so it is definitely omni-friendly.


And while rice was cooking, these happened:
Veggie Sushi Rolls
Since I had leftover rice from last night's dinner, I added a dash of rice vinegar, cut some cucumber and carrot slices, added some gomasio inside, and rolled them up. I topped them with some watered down wasabi powder and more gomasio. I also made some packed with spinach and wasabi on the inside with less rice. These will be out lunch or snack today.

The Vegan Project
Tristan's willingness to stick to this diet is surprising, given how it's not the most convenient thing for him. He claims to enjoy my cooking, and that's rewarding for me. He has not had his late night junk food cravings (like for cereal, or peanut butter cookies). I was planning on making a late night "sweet" snack like banana smoothies or peanut butter smoothies, but this hasn't been necessary.

Last night he weighed himself and came in at a surprisingly low 155 lbs. Now I'm starting to wonder how to fatten him up without raising his cholesterol? He's usually around 165/170. Time to bring in the carbs. And protein? I don't believe the protein myth but maybe his body is different than mine and he needs more.

Next week, now that he's "transitioned" so to speak, I'm going to do more raw vegetables and salad based meals. I'm going to aim for half of our food to be raw. This will be more nutritious and I've heard that the natural digestive enzymes found in raw veggies are cooked out so to eat lots of raw stuff (or take digestive enzymes if it's a problem).

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    I also have trouble keeping weight on Dan. That is why I add nuts to his morning smoothies and oatmeal. I also pack trail mix for him and the liter of fresh juice has a lot of calories. Of course he usually gets dessert with more nuts. It doesn't seem to hurt his cholesterol.

    I hope that helped,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    Funny how those guys just don't put on the weight like we do!!!
    Your sushi rolls look great. I've always thought those were challenging:)
    xo
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the fact that Tristan only eats about half of what I pack him for lunch. I'll start packing in more calorie-dense foods, and less of it : )

    ReplyDelete