Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Easy Breakfast-Ready Oats and a Vegan Project Update


Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

Now that my definition of breakfast has expanded beyond coffee and cookies, I just love when there's already something waiting for me. I love these pancakes from Vegan Yum Yum (sans sugar of course) and I don't get the heavy pancake feeling after eating them, but I've really been on a mission to find a healthy grab-and-go recipe that accompanies coffee so I have the option of oversleeping and skipping my morning smoothie.

I was inspired by these vegan overnight oats from Oh She Glows, but had to add my own twist bringing this recipe from culinary cleverness to a whatever-I-happen-to-have modge podge.

Breakfast-Ready Oats
p.m.
Place in bowl with lid:
1 cups oats (I used quick oats)
1 mashed banana
1 teaspoon chia seeds
enough water to cover (plus a little more)
Cover, place in fridge.
a.m.
Add almond milk, a dash of maple syrup, and a dash of cinnamon (optional). (Comment: I also added cardamom. Don't recommend it.)

Very satisfying, and requires no thought or planning in the morning.

So, just to give an example of where I'm at in my eating habits these days, this oatmeal was accompanied by a spinach-blueberry-banana smoothie, and followed an hour later by a banana-almond milk-date-almond butter smoothie (that rocked). I'm Little Miss Hungry these days.

The Vegan Project Update
He's got an ulcer. So we have a whole new list of off-limits foods.

One thing I read about ulcers in several places is that foods high in antioxidants (kale, spinach blueberries, which we eat all three almost daily) are useful in calming the symptoms of ulcers. My poor husband. That sounds so painful.

My vegan cuisine is not as satisfying to him these days. I think he's in the brunt of detoxing from his old (regular) way of eating. Hopefully he'll pull through and see the light, where we feel great and crave healthy foods, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

And to be honest, as much as I blog, I resent that I have to do this to stay motivated. But I like the blogs I follow and get inspiration daily, so I keep it up and walk through another day of food.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in, Stephanie. Sorry to hear about the ulcer. You are doing the right thing by cooking what's best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, the ulcer sounds painful. I hope your hubby turns the corner soon. Detox isn't fun, I hope he understands it will pass.

    Like Aimee said, hang in there,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete