Saturday, October 9, 2010

Meatballs and a Sugar-Free Chocolate Dessert

First up...meatballs! This recipe was improvised and adapted from a recipe I came across a while back but don't remember where. The meatballs are rice and lentils based.
Unforunately they only get 4 stars even though my new vegan enjoyed them very much : ) I will definitely make them again, though, but I'm not sure how to adapt them so they are more flavorful.

My star rating standards are going up now that I'm cooking every day and following other recipes...I have to stop dispensing the five stars for everything, lol. So starting now...
5 stars= really 5 stars --flavor, texture, aroma
4 stars = good and will eat again (and look forward to it)
3 stars = I'll eat it again but only after revising the recipe
2 stars = probably wouldn't serve it to anyone else but might eat again in a pinch
1 star= If I post a 1 star recipe it's to warn you to never try the recipe.

I feel like a goof sharing recipes at all when there is such a plethora of amazing vegan chefs doing their thing in the blog world, but I guess this is for my own documentation as much as it is to share. Like I say in my intro, I have to write about it to be excited, otherwise I literally stop eating. I get lazy and unmotivated and suddenly tortilla chips + salsa starts to convince me that they constitute an entire dinner.

Brown Rice and Lentil Meatballs
Yields about a dozen medium meatballs

1 cup cooked brown rice
2 cups cooked lentils (any would do)
3/4 cup oats, processed and lightly toasted
1/4 cup spelt flour, lightly toasted
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or whatever seasoning combo sounds good
salt to taste

Let rice and lentils cool off so they can be handled. My rice was leftover so it was cold to balance out the hot lentils.

Preheat oven to 350'. Scoop the lentils with a slotted spoon into the flour, oats, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, and spices. Use a wooden spoon to squish everything together. If it is dry, use some of the lentil water to moisten and continue to mix until it is a nice texture, not crumbly and not sticky. Then add the rice and squish that in, too. When the mixture is workable, use hands (or a cookie dough scooper if you want to make small balls), to make balls. I had to oil my hands between each ball with olive oil.

Place balls on oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until outside feels crisp.

Take tray out of oven and brown meatballs in oil on medium-high. They are firm enough to roll them around in the pan and they will not crumble.

Serving: I served them with whole wheat fusilli (I could have done without the wheat but the preschool cook used my rice pasta--grrr). I also made an oniony-garlicky-tomato and broth sauce and put it on top of the meatballs...that was delicious. I think the meatballs, sauce, and mozzerella Daiya cheese was the perfect combination. The fusilli stuck out like a sore thumb and did not do anything for this meal.


***
I tried improvising a dessert today, too, and it was delicious. I think I will try to make it again but improve the crust so that it stays together better, but I want to post the recipe anyway (for myself!) so that I don't forget in case I don't get around to revising it. As you can see, this is what is left at 10pm and I made it at 3pm.

It's sugar-free but not gluten-free as it uses spelt flour, which I tolerate very well. I can't say I've systematically tested my gluten intolerance, but it's something I've definitely been noticing.
Sugar-free Chocolate Dessert
This one deserves it's 5 stars

Crust
Oats and spelt flour, processed with a pinch of salt, a dash of cinnamon and a dollop of oil

Squish it into a pan (I used a ceramic 8x8) and bake on 350 for 10 minutes or until you can smell the toasted aroma

Topping
1 cup pitted medjool dates
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup grated dried coconut
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4-1/2 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
(I didn't but I suggest adding nuts as well, especially almonds or walnuts)

In a large food processor, process everything until it forms a ball. Or pulse so you get even processing. Probably doesn't matter.

Oil a plate or dish about the same size as the baking dish. I used nonstick spray.

Squish the chocolatey dough onto the plate or dish until you have about the size of your baking dish. Make sure it is uniform in thickness because it won't melt or anything in the oven. Layer this on top of the crust and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

***UPDATE: forgot to add this step! I didn't put the vanilla and cacao in the processor. I microwaved a couple tablespoons of Earth Balance (soy-free but any margarine will do) until melted, then mixed in the cacao and vanilla into that mixture. Then I poured it on top of the final product before putting it in the oven. Sorry for the oversight!***

Eat warm, or let cool. Refridgerate and it will be so yummy.

I can't believe I made this up and it was so good [pats own back]!

***
The Vegan Project Update
He said his mood feels better and there were only two or three times when he craved "outside" food (like when he saw a co-worker eating Cheez-Its, which I don't even view as food anymore). I told him I could pack him better snacks like home-toasted sunflower seeds with salt (have you read the ingredients on the ones at the gas station? It's scary how much crap they put in there sometimes!)

My own personal update: last night I went on an easy but tiring bike ride with a friend (15 or 20 miles but at a pretty slow pace, maybe 15 mph). When I got home, I made the meatballs and ate but felt too tired to clean up. I went to bed, but had a major case of restless leg syndrome (I haven't been diagnosed by a professional, but I get weird nerve stuff that makes it impossible to relax unless I actually go to sleep and I have to keep moving). It was almost unbearable and came very suddenly. I know that potassium and magnesium usually alleviate this feeling (and sugar and caffeine exacerbate it) so I broke down and took a multi-vitamin. It went away very shortly thereafter. So I guess this body isn't perfect just because it's vegan : )

Welcome, oh Wonderful Weekend! Here I come!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the lentil-rice meatball recipe. It looks like the kind of meal I would love. I'll be trying it very soon. And the dessert... well, I'll probably be trying that even sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lentil meatball sounds lovely and I have all the ingredients!!!
    Also, your dessert looks sinful yet healthy. Cacao is so good for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I just remembered a step in this recipe that I left out! I'm editing it now so if you make the dessert, read the update first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all look so delicious! I am currently looking for new vegan recipes to try... I'll make sure to try these in the near future!

    Lovely blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "meatballs" sound interesting thanks for sharing the recipe. When I am making things up (which is daily) I taste things like this before I bake them. When they are raw the taste will be different but will give you an idea of what the final flavor will be. Alternately you can cook a small "tester" to to check the flavor.

    Congrats on the vegan project. It sounds like it is going really well. :-)

    Sorry to hear about the restless legs but glad the multi vitamin did the trick.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete