Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Un-complicated soup


Star rating: 5!

Tonight for dinner I made simple vegetable soup. In my first post I committed to using recipes because I finally admitted that my improvisational cooking leaves something (lots of things) to be desired. In The Joy of Cooking, there is a basic vegetable soup that suggests:

2 cups of stock
2 cups diced vegetables
1.5 tsp. tomato paste or 1/2 c chopped tomatoes

No pre-cooking, sauteing, spices, nothing. Soups don't like my tendency overcomplicate them.

A dinner complete with flavor and nutrition.

Tonight's No-Frills Soup:
1 cup Pacific organic vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup quinoa (I rinse it really well to get all the bitter resin off of the outside)
1 small beet
1 small zuccini
1 carrot
1/2 c chopped baby spinach
1 tomato
1 small garlic clove
(Ginger would also make a lovely addition to this soup).

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes until quinoa is fully cooked. Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil (for the good fats), an optional dash of mirin, and black pepper and salt to taste.

Makes a modest two servings (ie. my dinner and tomorrow's lunch).

After eating, I read this (and by the way, who eats that way???) and was inspired so added some anti-inflammatory herbs to the leftovers. Added 1 tsp. tumeric, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. ginger powder. We'll see if I can palette this soup tomorrow.


3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    Love the addition of antioxidant packed spices. Nice touch! I do that where appropriate too. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! (My first comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    Yay! Thanks for the letting me know that. I love that I got to be your first comment. I remember how excited I was when I got my first comment from someone I didn't know. Even as long as I have been blogging I still love getting comments. ;-)

    hope you have a great Friday,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete