Sunday, September 12, 2010

I'm Cocoa for Cocoa Puffs!!!

I woke up feeling like something was "missing". Do you ever get the feeling that you "need" protein, or you "need" a banana? Like, something is really wrong and you need to consume something in order to fix the feeling? Well, I feel like that right now. Usually my mind would go here: "Well, maybe this vegan diet is missing something...what if I'm lacking protein or essential minerals? What if I start to disappear???"

But I feel like that crack addict chocolate bird who is cocoa for cocoa puffs!!!






(And that's exactly what I would look like if I ate a bowl of cocoa puffs right now.)











Today I will make the assumption that this discomfort is a sugar craving, and I'm going to go out on a limb and NOT try to fix it. Just to see what happens. My smoothie this morning is practically all sugar...cherries, mango, bluberries, spinach, and some sprouted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and almonds, and a little cacao powder and cinnamon. But usually I put a dash of agave nectar in my smoothie, which is no longer an option. If I still feel like this tomorrow morning, I'll have a protein shake (no sugar, but has whey).

Time to do a little research.

***

Well that wasn't very helpful.

Most articles focus on how to stop sugar cravings (gives a little sense of of our psychology, right? Just stop doing it without understanding it.)

One article suggests that when we stop ingesting seratonin-inducing things (like sweets), that even more receptors in the brain open up so that we can more efficiently collect what we crave. So maybe this is my body trying to get as much sugar as possible. But I kind of wanted a better explanation of the physical process at work to help me to walk through it. Like, say, it's just an insulin surge and will die down over the next 24 hours, or it's how the body feels when it detoxes.

Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment