Saturday, September 11, 2010

The truth hurts


Damn it!

"Wholesome...organic...raw..." Sounds like something I want in my body...not!

I just found this article about agave nectar and can no longer stay in denial.

The gist of this article:
1. Agave Nectar is not a "natural sweetener". It is converted from the agave plant much like high fructose corn syrup is converted from corn starch. ie. chemical processes. ie. highly refined.
2. Its fructose content is through the roof (more than HFCS!).
3. It's not "raw" even if it is labelled as such.
4. It is a newly created sweetener, developed in the 90's, and not an old traditional product made by the ancient Aztecs to promote health or any kind of b.s. like that.
5. According to the article linked above, "The body doesn't recognize fructose" and it is not found in nature (what the what?). Can we say 'free radical'?

Maybe this article is a little extreme...I'm sure agave nectar is better than HFCS. But still...

Before reading this article, I had just put a few drops of agave nectar in my blender as I made almond milk for a late night bowl of cereal. I just poisoned myself! Yuck! I'm throwing it away! But saving the bottle for a cool preschool art project!

Agave nectar...one more thing on my no-no list!

Other perspectives: anti , pro, in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment