Thursday, September 23, 2010

Butternut squash and broccoli curry

I did it! I ate all nine suggested servings of fruits and vegetables today!

BREAKFAST: Kale; Blueberries; Strawberries; Apricots/pineapple
LUNCH: Zucchini; Avocado
DINNER: Butternut squash; Tomato; Broccoli; Kale

Yay!

***

What to do with extra pizza dough and two extra butternut squash?

Tonight's dinner

Butternut Squash Curry and warm bread

Star rating: 4

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cubed)

1 bell pepper (I used orange)

1 cup steamed fresh or frozen broccoli (I used frozen)

1 small can coconut milk

curry powder, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds

ginger and chiles would have been good...I didn't have them

"Garnish": blend 3-4 kale leaves, 1 cup of water, pinch of salt, scoop of nutritional yeast (1-2 tablespoons?), 5-10 cashews, blended until a sauce and set aside.


Heat oil on medium, add mustard seeds. When they start to jump out of the pan (you can hear them pop), add cumin. Then add squash and bell peppers (and ginger and chiles if using). After browning slightly, add some water. Make sure everything cooks until very tender!
When squash is tender, add coconut milk and a curry powder to taste (I used about a teaspoon, which is very little). After about five minutes, add broccoli. Cook another five minutes.
Add blended "garnish" at the end to maintain the vitamins in the kale but also just cook it into the dish.
This was so good! And the "garnish" hopefully added some B vitamins and micronutrients from the nutritional yeast and kale.

Oh yeah, I baked the pizze dough plain with some salt, and sliced it in strips and ate it with the curried squash.

I have to note, I felt very sleepy right after I ate, like a food coma feeling. Could I be allergic to wheat? I'm starting to suspect something...I'll be watching that. It could have also been the fatty coconut sauce, but I'm seeing other red flags.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo on getting in 9 veggie and fruit servings. You go girl!

    I wonder if it was the wheat or coconut milk. Hope you figure it out soon. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete