Sunday, September 12, 2010

Almost-Raw Brownies

This un-photogenic brownie gets a star rating of 5+!!!


Even though I don't follow a raw diet, I had to try these "B-raw-nies" from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. They turned out delicious. They are so good in fact that I can't believe I'm allowed to eat them, given all of my new dietary rules.

My adaptations:
-Instead of raw cocoa, I used half regular cocoa powder and half cacao powder.
-I used honey instead of agave nectar. Here is why.
-Used vanilla extract, 1 tsp., instead of raw vanilla bean. I also added vanilla to the frosting, which may be why it turned out a bit grainy rather than creamy (also could have been the honey).
-If I make it again, I need to remember to use dried cherries! The cherries and almond extract were the highlight of this recipe!
-I garnished it with chia seeds to emphasize just how healthy they are! And to make them cuter. (I hope they stay cute and don't turn gelatinous like they do when they soak in water...oh dear...)
-Next time...1. mix the frosting by hand and properly defrost coconut butter (slowly), and 2. make a double batch (they disappear quickly when you're excited to share!), and maybe try a different nut butter for the frosting next time. Oh! And 3. re-hydrate the cherries so they process better and keep the brownies moister longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment