Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bean Dip, Seaweed, Sugar



This white bean dip recipe from Vegan Epicurean is worth having around. I always have these ingredients in the house, and I always need to add beans/legumes to my diet. Plus, the nutritional yeast in the dip provides B vitamins that I don't get from other sources. I used half the mustard because, though I love mustard and pickles and that flavor genre, I don't really love mustard in these types of mixes. I added a bit of salt and a dollop of olive oil for good fats. I used canned Eden Foods brand white kidney (cannelini) beans which, while double the price of the Whole Foods brand, is packaged with kombu seaweed, which supposedly makes the beans a lot easier to digest (which is why I often add a piece to my bean and lentil soups and stews). Spreaking of seaweed...

My esthetician yesterday told me during our facial that I need to eat more seaweed or take superfood tablets. Apparently this will help the iron to indirectly help my skin (it's very dry and has been prone to breakouts). We'll see if anything can redeem this skin!


My skin's not so bad...at least I'm not a fur face!



***more about my ongoing relationship with sugar***

And one last note about my sugar cheat yesterday. I did have gelatto, and remember last time when I said I have to be all-or-nothing about sugar? Well, I came home and ate four cookies. THAT is why I can't eat any sugar!

I guess my willpower hasn't been doing push-ups after all!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you like the bean dip. I am going to try to make a mozzarella version next, hopefully this week. You may like that more since I don't expect to use any mustard in it.

    Sorry to hear about your sugar issue. I can't have only one bite either, it isn't just you.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ali. It's nice knowing I'm not the only sugar crazed lady out there. And I can wait to see the mozzarella version, or any other version, of that dip. I feel protein deprived and just can't seem to find the hunger to get my nutritional needs met!

    ReplyDelete