Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cinnamon Biscuit


What is that little piece of heaven right there, you ask?


Okay, it wasn't that good.  But it did satisfy the craving.


Basically, I took a cut-out biscuit recipe (you know, you cut it with empty evaporated milk can?), replaced the liquids and part of the oil with applesauce and almond milk, and I added a little cinnamon.  I won't post the recipe because it turned out just a tad dry, but maybe you can find your own to adapt accordingly. I baked these cinnamon biscuits in muffin tins. (Underneath that top part is a cupcake-shaped bottom). 


I divided the dough into eight parts for eight muffins.  Then I split each of those in half.  I put the first half into the muffin tin, then added a mixture of melted Earth Balance, turbinado sugar, and cinnamon, then put on the top half (and pushed it down), and put another little bit of the Earth Balance mixture.  Baked as directed and yum : )


You could be better off using this recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen, but I like the biscuit recipe because it is simple with only a few ingredients and I can use spelt flour. (We made the linked recipe with the preschoolers last week and they turned out really good, even without the soy yogurt).


But I also wanted that garbage that they put on "real" cinnamon rolls.  But I couldn't make it without powdered sugar, as far as I knew.  (Incidentally I googled "Cinnabon Frosting Recipe" and was alarmed at how much cream cheese and butter goes into that frosting--my heart and arteries said "no thank you and never please" to that).  So I mixed some cashew cream, juice from half an orange, a little agave and vanilla, and it turned out just fine.  Instead of putting it on top (since it's not really frosting), I put the cinnamon biscuit into a pool of the stuff.  It was the consistency of melted ice cream because I made a liquidier cashew cream than usual (and keep it in a tub in the fridge, of course!).  Each bite was covered in that cashew creamy goodness, making up for any dry-ness in the biscuit.


Satisfied my sugar craving, and with only a fraction of the sugar normally needed for cinnamon rolls.


I feel like I need to post a good picture to make up for that horrible one up there.  One that will add some color to this post.  Okay, here:



It just does NOT get more colorful than toddlers purposefully falling out of windows. 

It just doesn't.

2 comments:

  1. Just stopping by to say hello. I think we have a lot of similarities! I would like to subscribe and get your posts by e-mail . . . is there a way to do that on your wonderful blog? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks : ) There's a little widget on the sidebar that says "want more" and you can click on the comments one and it will give you options. Thanks for the compliments.

    And as I write, I'm drinking one of those smoothies that I see on your homepage : )

    ReplyDelete