Wednesday, January 5, 2011

So, so, so, so, so, so, so, so good.
Corn Chowder
Inspired by "Creamy Corn Chowder" from Vegetarian Times

Ingredients:
Frozen or cooked corn, about 3 cups
1 small can of full fat coconut milk
14 to 1/2 cup cashew cream
1 large carrot
1 large celery stock
1/2 yellow onion
heaping teaspoon of Better than Bouillon (holy crap! i just looked at the ingredients of this...scary! I recommend using Rupentzel's Vegan Bouillon--two cubes--less scary).
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
salt
few grinds of pepper
3 1/2 cups of water

Method:
I put everything into the slow cooker, but you can do this stovetop as well and saute the veggies.  I'm trying to avoid that step when I can and boy did it pay off in this recipe.  I set the cooker on high and even after about two hours it smelled delicious.  The longer it was in there, the better it smelled.

***
My co-worker who is very omni practically jumped in shock of how good it was and asked if she could take some home.  (Then proceeded to tell me it would be awesome on top of some chicken.)

The original recipe calls for silken tofu rather than the cashew cream and coconut milk.  However, I think this version is probably better.  It was very thin but if I made it again, I would use the same amount of water because the consistency was perfect for me, especially right now because I'm sort of still sick.  I prefer thinner broths when I'm sick.

On the side, I made spelt biscuits from Baby Cakes NYC (replacing half of the WW flour with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour and 2 teaspoons xanthan gum).  I stuffed some biscuits with Gimme Lean sausage and left some plain.  They tasted like quinoa because of the flour replacement but that's good for you so oh well : )

I think after Tristan comes home from Bikram yoga tonight he'll need some carbs and protein.  This meal should do the job!  What's missing?  Fresh veggies, hellooo!  We'll add some fresh fruits and vegges to our late night smoothies.

What can I say [pats own back] satisfying two omnivores in one day.

I'll end with something odd today.  We all have our special skills, right?  I'm a really good preschool teacher, this guy is a really good fire extinguisher.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty, I might have to whip me up some corn chowder too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do, let me know how you like it...I'm so critical of my cooking that I always assume I like it more than others will : ) But I did love it!

    ReplyDelete