Saturday, January 15, 2011

Vegan Enchiladas

What's the point in labelling them vegan? Everything on here is vegan.  Plus, I've posted enchiladas before so wth?

These are different.  So I'm posting this version, too.  I apologize because I hate long-winded instructions, and these are long-winded.  Anyway, you know what to do.  This is just in case you don't : )

These can be refrigerated overnight and baked the next day and they will be delicious.  Just save the sauce on the side and when you are ready to bake, spread it over the enchiladas.  Then bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes.

These are very easy although there are many steps.  I mean, if you weren't vegan or health-conscious, you could just go buy some lard tortillas, preservative-enriched sauce, casein- and fat-loaded cheese, and throw some cooked potatoes and frozen spinach in there and toss that bad boy in the oven.  But y'all are my health-conscious peeps and know betters : )

(Ugh, the thought of all the cheese--and cholesterol-- that comes on the enchiladas I used to eat at the restaurants...those things should come with free angioplasty services or at least a warning label).

Think healthy thoughts...think healthy thoughts...

I opened this to show you what's inside...no I wasn't licking the plate right there in the middle, even though I wanted to!

-----
Stephanie's Healthy Girl Enchiladas

This yields 6-8 enchilada rolly things.  Have either a 9x13 pan or two smaller baking dishes ready with a light coating of oil (or not...I did to be safe).

INGREDIENTS


Tortillas
Enough ingredients to make about 6-8 large tortillas (that would be around 3 cups flour to start, I think?)
This recipe assumes you have a tortilla recipe that you follow or you are using store bought.
I mean, if you want to be hardcore you could make these things with collard wraps.

"Cheese" Filling
4-5 small potatoes
Silken tofu, half a block
1/4 cup cashew cream (optional)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Veggies
3 zucchini
1 onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed well
(Many varieties of veggies would work here, this just happens to be what I had.  Spinach and potatoes, green bell peppers with tomatoes and zucchini, butternut squash with mushrooms and rice)

Enchi Sauce
1 large can of tomatoes (not 15 oz but the next one up); or use tomato paste+broth+something to zest it up like vinegar or lemon
a whole lot of chili powder (keep adding it to taste, start with one tablespoon)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
cumin, seeds or powder depending on your blender's grinding ability
salt and pepper to taste
boullion (optional, I used it because I'm an addict)
flour or other thickener

METHOD

Start out by baking the potatoes at 400 for about 25-30 minutes, until fork tender.

Next, make your tortilla dough so it can sit while you prep the veggies.

Chop and saute veggies (all together) until softish.  When softish, add beans, cover, and reduce heat to low.  Set aside (the veggies will soften from the steam by the time you need them).

Turn on your tortilla skillet but keep checking the potatoes while you roll your tortillas.  If you make them a little thicker they will withstand the moisture from the veggies and sauces, but this is not critical (I like thin tortillas myself, so I can eat more of them!).

By the way, when the potatoes are done, take them out but leave the oven on (turn down to 350).

When you have completed the tortillas, plunge your potatoes into cold water and then peel the skins with a towel or right in the bowl of water (this is way easier than peeling them with a peeler beforehand!).  Don't worry about getting every last piece of peel, just get most of it.  Throw the peeled potatoes into the food processor with the half block of tofu and cashew cream if you are using that.  Also add onion powder and salt, and then process.  The consistency is that of thick sour cream, not crumbly like ricotta.

Wow!  Almost ready!

Throw in all of your enchi sauce ingredients in the blender and blend.  Then cook over medium, stirring frequently so it doesn't bubble and burn).    Use a whisk if you need to, and add chili powder until it tastes right.

Okay, time for the fun part.  Spread the white sauce on the tortillas and fill with veggies (they should be steamed soft by now).  Roll and place into baking dish.  Do this until you have a full dish of rolls.

Slather with enchi sauce!  Don't be shy!  You have plenty!  If you save a little sauce, you can cleverly swirl it onto the plate before plopping the roll on it to serve.

At this point you can eat them without baking (but don't forget to turn off the oven) since there is no cheese to melt.  However I suggest that you bake them for 30-35 minutes (uncovered) to set the sauce and seal the deal.  Just check once halfway through to make sure the sauce isn't burning around the edges too much (burning a little is okay, blackish, not so much).

When they are done, use a spatula to remove one roll at a time and serve on a plate.  Garnish with fresh cilantro.

-----







8 comments:

  1. An angioplasty warning - I love it. I often think the same about things that I see like a pile of fries or an In-n-Out burger.

    Fantastic recipe! I love that it's vegan which is how I try to eat more often than not. You are a very creative cook! So nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks...love your blog, too (reminds me that we all don't have that perfect husband, lol) and that it's totally okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice enchiladas! Just curious, what is the reference to "healthy girl" all about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I almost put "Stephanie's White Girl Enchiladas" to clarify that they are my own little white girl version, and then I thought it might be offensive so I replaced "white" with "healthy". Isn't that funny : ) Didn't even realize I was being a copycat :\

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph,

    They look great and I love the sound of your filling.

    I hope you had a good Monday,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive never put Potatoes in my enchiladas, that is a cool idea. :)

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks...i am liking your blog already...the food one : P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of these enchilada's!!!
    I make potato taco's when I get to feeling squirrly....yes, I said squirrly and I want something bad for me, but I don't want the guilt. I am using gluten free things now. I might make some potato taco's this weekend!
    Rock on Healthy Girl!
    Viv~

    ReplyDelete