Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Green Detox Smoothie


Hers and His smoothies.

In my little microcosm of the blogosphere, I've been inundated with green smoothie recipes as people try to clean up their temples after holiday splurges.  I'm right there with you, friends.

So, my cold.  I felt myself getting tired-er and goopy-er tonight.  Something had to be done.  The good news is, now that I'm vegan, I know I won't end up needing antibiotics even if no action is taken.  Praise the dairy-free diet.

I thought oranges and garlic would do the job to cleanse my system, so I googled "smoothie orange garlic" and a few entries down there was a detox smoothie recipe on ehow.com.  That one inspired this one:

Green Detox Smoothie
For the omni, this went down like a shot of twelve year old scotch.  For me, it was an extra sour green smoothie with a hot afterbite.


Mince one garlic clove.  Let it rest for a while on the cutting board.  Or get a scoop of it out of your pre-minced garlic jar.

In the meantime, put in the blender:
1 orange, peeled but left most of the white part on
1 lemon, peeled but left some of the white part on
half of a pear
two kale leaves
a handful of fresh parsley
a pinch or so of cayenne pepper
a dash of maple syrup (I've heard of a maple-cayenne-lemon cleanse so thought there might be some chemistry there)
water and a few ice cubes

Add the minced garlic clove.

Give it a whirl in the blender.

Pretend you are enjoying it while your husband guzzles his.  I enjoyed mine through a straw because I don't like the foam on top of smoothies.





2 comments:

  1. I also just made a green smoothie for my cold and felt soo much better afterward~ I would like to try yours too, it sounds interesting! I love spicy and I can only imagine that the addition of cayenne really got your blood pumping! Be careful with the maple syrup though, it likes to fester in bacteria ladened area's of the throat! I am an avid user of honey and recently Vegan Epicurean mentioned this fact to me. Who knew
    Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Hugs, Viv~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished up a green smoothie too! I think we are all feeling the post holiday detox! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete