Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ramblings

***
My favorite soup is in the crock pot, patiently waiting to undergo a metamorphosis into tomorrow's lunch.  I'm so excited.  Every time I make that soup, I open the crock pot often just to take a whiff.
***

I think my B vitamins are keeping me awake at night.  
***

So, this...

turned into this...


Misshapen gnocchi.  "Misshapen" is awfully close to the word "mishap" so I won't share my "recipe".  If you find yourself with a spare roasted sweet potato with nothing to do, experiment on your own (if you need guidance, go to Healthy Bitch Daily and Vegan Yum Yum).  Yes, they are as overcooked as they appear to be in the photo.

But do you see the handle protruding from behind the plate?  That is the handle to my favorite new griddle.  Tortillas were never easier since the death of my tawa, which was neglected for too long and got rusty.

And did you notice an orange binder just to the right of that handle?  That is my collection of recipes, sorted into various categories.  I just started collecting hard copies a few months ago, and it's bursting full of vegan recipes.  I even have a section for my favorite things that I use often (tonight's soup, for example).  Maybe some day that list can be it's very own post.  In the front of the binder there is an empty sheet protector so when I use a recipe, I cover it, use it, wipe it off, and it's clean enough to put back into the binder.

***
Tonight's dessert (I've had frozen fruit desserts almost every night this week) is frozen strawberries and peaches with young coconut milk and meat.  It's so good!  And kind of extremely filling... I feel like I have a rubber tire in my stomach (couldn't be the gnocchi).  The vegan miniature chocolate chips snuck back into my diet (they are such opportunists!) and I'm trying to bid them adieu.  Who'd have thought a vegan fruit smoothie could have so much fat and sugar?

***
The Vegan Project--He came home from yoga class tonight with a grocery bag with eggs and bread to supplement the dinner I made for him.  It really hurts my feelings that he thinks my dinners aren't enough to satiate his cravings.  It makes me feel like an incompetent spouse even though I know that what I put into our meals is more than sufficient to sustain his good health.  *Going to my happy place* he is nice, cute, nicotine-free (today), and hell, I have a husband who likes to go to yoga.
***
I gave my dogs flea medicine today.  I hate poisoning my dogs.  I hate fleas.
***
Did I tell you I made a commitment to vegan footwear?  I've actually found some really cute and comfortable vegan shoes.  I'll probably continue to wear my two pairs of Uggs until the souls wear through because they are just warm and comfortable and already part of my wardrobe.  I just won't buy any more.  If you are an animal-conscious vegan, is there an online shoe store that you like?
***
Vegan out!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    Your post made me laugh. It's the same way with my partner. He comes home with the eggs and occasional fish and not-so healthy crackers and I am just thankful for everything he does eat of mine.
    xo
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, Stephanie! I am just seeing this. I made a post this morning with the word "Ramblings" in the title. I swear I'm not ripping off your blog! Maybe we are just on the same wavelength? All your food looks great, even the "misshapen" gnocchi. Seriously, gnocchi of any shape is fabulous, isn't it? And if it makes you feel better, it sounds like your husband is doing more with vegan food than mine is. Just keep doing your thing girl, and be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's okay, Cheryl : ) I noticed that and figured something was in the air. To be honest, everything feels like copying lately because every time I turn around someone either writes something that I just wrote about, or I write something and then notice someone else just had : ) Part of the blogging package, I guess! And yes, I enjoyed the gnocchi but probably won't make it again...unless I can find a recipe without so much flour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimee...I knew someone would understand : ) I guess I should be doing it for myself and that should be enough, but sometimes it just isn't : \

    Liked your cinnamon clove spray idea, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE ogling vegan shoe websites, alas I have never actually ordered from any of them. I have feet like boats so I am skeptical of actually being able to get something to fit without trying it on (that and shipping back and forth to Canada is generally a deterrant :()
    I would love to see the shoes you ended up getting.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Misshapen or not, I am really impressed that you can make gnocchi. Seriously, it seems so...impossible!!

    ReplyDelete