Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kidney Bean Soup and Asparagus w/Hollandaise

This is a delicious, aromatic, hardy meal. The soup is inspired by my meditation getaway last Saturday atGreen Gulch Farms in San Francisco. It was lovely, and lunch was a simple kidney bean stew with bread baked fresh on site. This recipe is my attempt to replicate the stew, but I must say I think it turned out better and was even easier to digest. I'm so proud of myself [pats own back].




Steamed Asparagus with Hollandaise: recipe can be found here at Vegetarian Times. This was so good I was dipping bread in the hollandaise sauce later.

Kidney Bean Soup
Makes four servings

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 yellow onion
2 chopped zucchinis
4 cloves of garlic, minced
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
4-5 cups of vegetable broth
2 heaping tablespoons of tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon thyme
4 bay leaves (depending on how strong they are...I used two fresh and two dried)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder

Method:
This can be cooked on the stovetop, but I used a crockpot on high for roughly six hours then turned it to low for a couple more hours.

Place kidney beans, vegetable broth, tomato paste, turmeric, thyme, and bay leaves into crock pot.

Heat oil in skillet on medium. Add chopped onion, saute for just a couple of minutes or until they change color slightly. Turn heat to medium-low. Add zucchini. Stir a bit and add salt, pepper, and garlic. Saute for just a couple of minutes. You don't want everything to cook down, just to mix the flavors a teeny bit. Add this mixture to the crockpot. Cook until desired consistency, removing lid for thicker soup (I removed the lid to the crockpot for about an hour).

2 comments:

  1. I do love a good hollandaise. Maybe it's because it's so challenging to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was really good if you aren't opposed to tofu. I try to limit my soy but this was worth the slip.

    ReplyDelete