Thursday, November 11, 2010

Granola Bars



These are not sugar free, but they meet my standard of refined-sugar-free.

O-Mega Granola Bars
Adapted from Vegan Dad

Toast 2-3 cups of quick cooking oats in the oven at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix:
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup molasses or mixture or molasses and maple syrup
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup nuts of choice (I used crushed almonds tha
t I crushed in the food processor)
1/4 cup nuts of choice (I used pecans although I would have preferred walnuts)
dash(es) of cinnamon to taste
1/8 cup sesame seeds

Mixture should be wet enough fully cover the oats and have a moist mixture afterwards.

Mix warm toasted oats to coat in the wet ingredients. Pour into into greased and floured (I used rice flour) 8x8 baking dish (or lined with parchment paper). Press firmly with pastry roller or potato masher. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (too long and they will be too crispy and crumbly, like mine). Cool completely and cut into bars.

Comments: I thought they may be too sweet for me so I planned to save these to fatten up my husband. However, they aren't overly sweet and would be a wonderful grab-and-go snack.

The best part of this recipe was using my new pastry cutter.

Coming soon...
Green Health Bar


No comments:

Post a Comment