Thursday, November 4, 2010

A quote to share and some heavy thinking


Today, for the first time since Day 1 of Vegan Mofo, I am able to jump in to the hundreds of posts paying homage to this event. And can I just say, wow. What a treat to have access to so many vegans. I love you!

I had to share this quote that I stole from this blog. My thoughts exactly!

"Alas, what wickedness to swallow flesh into our own flesh, to fatten our greedy bodies by cramming in other bodies, to have one living creature fed by the death of another! As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, he will never know health or peace". ~ Pythagoras

I was just telling my husband earlier that I don't think I will ever go back to eating dairy. If I do, I will have to purposely ignore all that I know (kind of like the way I do when I wear leather shoes). I'm trying to totally veganize my life now (shoes, too), and the more I do, the more I realize that consuming dairy, to me, is the same as eating meat. The animals are suffering for my benefit. We can't ask the cows and goats, "Hey, can I steal your milk? How do your boobs feel, all swollen and full all the time? Do you like that?" Can you imagine? I came across this post on Vegan Jains (it's an old one) and s/he links up a slideshow about 3 or 4 paragraphs in about dairy milk production versus almond milk production. Simple but honest and powerful. I sent it to my husband, who has been teetering on veganism and omnivore eating.

These are my thoughts today...I'm really feeling like I need to do more for animals besides not eating them. I can only sign so many online petititions before I come to terms with how little I actually do for animal welfare.

My favorite animals in the whole world:

No comments:

Post a Comment