Wednesday, November 10, 2010

All this just for me : )


This whole ensemble took about 1.5 hours from start to finish, including the time to cook the mung dal and the brown rice. That's pretty good, considering those are easily 40 minutes a pop. Now I am to the point that I enjoy cooking so much (again! I'm back to my old self!) and trying new recipes that I cook even if I'm just cooking for myself.

Click links for recipes, and I added my comments and adaptations underneath. It's a given that if it says they used ghee (clarified butter), then I used margarine or canola oil. Before I became vegan, I would eat this type of meal with some yogurt on the side or in the dal. I was a dairy addict! I'm so grateful that my transition to veganism doesn't leave me wanting dairy products. I'm very satisfied with what I get in my diet.

Moong Dal with Spinach
Didn't pressure cook, but cooked mung beans first and then added other stuff at the very end and just simmered for about ten more minutes. I also added curry leaves to chaunk (this gave it a super delicious aroma and flavor).

Aloo Tamatar Sabzi with Kasturi Methi (a.k.a. Potaoes and Cauliflower with Spicy Tomato and Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
Replaced tomatoes with tomato paste and it worked great. I added the cauliflower because I had a craving, but the recipe only calls for tomatoes. I just added cauliflower in addition to the potatoes rather than substituting and the intensity of spiciness was just fine.

Brown Rice
After the rice was done, I heated some oil and roasted cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and fennel seeds, and added it to the rice (right on top) and mixed it in a little bit. The rice I got is not very good so this made it taste better.

These were great. I used a food processor. Add water veeerrry slowly and give it a few seconds between each addition of water to give it a chance to clump together. When the dough clumps, take it out of the processor, add a teeny bit of oil, and then knead on a cutting board. Set aside for 20 minutes before rolling into chapatis. I didn't put ghee on afterward. They were fine dry. Great, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment