Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Vegan Thanksgiving...to share, or not to share?

Why is all of that Thanksgiving food in to-go containers, you ask??? Read on to find out!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

And I hope you like my new profile picture : ) I did a lot of work editing it in Picnik. I was in my pajamas when I took that picture!

Why my food is in to-go containers: Dinner is at Grandma's, and every thing at Grandma's is made with turkey juice, butter, or straight up meat. Is it more rude to bring just enough vegan food for myself to Grandma's thanksgiving dinner, or is it more rude to bring enough to share? I want to eat, I'm not eating animal products, and I want to be a courteous and conscientous guest. But I'm not sure if I am going to get my way on all three.

Well, the fact is I made my own vegan potatoes, gravy, and stuffing. And they are something to write home about! But since I don't "write home", I'll blog about it. The mashed potatoes with the gravy on top was heaven in my mouth. And the stuffing...well, let's just say I had to bake it uncovered three times to get the top crispy because every time I took it out of the oven, I would pick at all of the crisp parts until there was no crisp to speak of.


Saffron and Spice Mashed Potatoes
6 yellow potatoes, peeled, boiled till soft, and drained
1/2 non dairy milk
1 tablespoon Earth Balance (optional)
a few saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
pinch of salt

Heat almond milk (or other non dairy milk) on low and add margarine. Heat through until margarine is melted, or just warm. Turn off heat, add saffron threads. Let them soak for ten minutes. Add mixture plus garam masala and salt to mashed potatoes and mash or process depending on how smooth you want it.

Mushroom Gravy
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 largely diced portabella head (roughly 3/4 cup) or any other mushroom (this was what I had)
1 bullion cube
2 cups broth
1 cup water
pinch of thyme
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (or to taste)
flour as needed to thicken

Sautee onions and mushroom in oil or earth balance until mushrooms release their liquid. Add thyme, broth, water, bullion, and nutritional yeast. Stir and bring to a boil. Cook over medium high heat for about ten minutes, stirring until bullion cube is completely dissolved. Add flour in small bits at a time and whisk after each addition until the desired thickness is reached. Add salt if needed.


Vegan Gimme Lean Stuffing
1 roll of Gimme Lean sausage, cooked and made into pieces like you see on sausage pizza
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup portabella or other mushroom, chopped
2 cups of broth
fresh spices, I used fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme
1 package artisan bread stuffing cubes (or make your own)

Saute onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in oil or margarine until just tender but not too tender. Add spices halfway through cooking. Place in bowl and stir in bread cubes until coated. Let sit for a few minutes. Add vegetable broth and fold in. Transfer to baking dish, bake covered for thirty minutes, then uncovered for 15 minutes or until crisp on top.

I had to make this pumpkin pie (again) while I was slaving in the kitchen.

And I will bring this cookie mandala to the host and hostess (Grandpa and Grandma) tomorrow:

There were 16 cookies. Now there are 14 : )

No comments:

Post a Comment