Monday, November 15, 2010

The Healthiest Pumpkin Pie I Ever Did See


I had to try out my new pressure cooker yesterday, so I pressure cooked a butternut squash (only took five minutes!). After lots of searching for the "perfect" pumpkin pie recipe, one without refined sugar or too many weird ingredients, I found this one.

I ran across this recipe from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen and it was love at first sight.

Gluten-free, Refined-sugar-free, Refined-oil-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie

There is a nice printable version on her website.

My adaptations:
  • Recipe calls for 3/4 c sugar. I used a little less than 1/4 c maple syrup and a little more than 1/4 cup molasses. It probably doesn't make a difference because the calorie content is likely the same, but I have to stick to my rules.
  • Recipe calls for any winter squash. I chose butternut.
  • My egg replacement was two flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax, 5 tablespoons water)
  • I used ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and a dash of clove for spices.
Comments:
I didn't get the bottom "crust" layer like she does, likely because my mixture was too wet and the top cooked too fast (the rack was a smidge too high). However, once cooled (completely), it does hold together like "real" pumpkin pie. Next time, I'll put my dish on a lower rack and see if that makes a difference. And, well, it could have been sweeter (see adaptations), but for me, it was just right. I appreciate any sweetness at all with my refined-sugar free ways. I also might make this in a crust just to see if it works.

Would I make it again? Absolutely.

Was that a picture of the very last piece? Take a guess : )

2 comments:

  1. The pie looks good thanks for sharing your modifications. I wonder how stevia would work.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no experience with stevia, but I'm guessing the recipe would appreciate something like stevia rather than all the syrup and liquid that I used. I think thats why I didn't get the crust layers like she did.

    ReplyDelete