Sunday, November 7, 2010

Breakfast with nutmilk leftovers and MoFoNoMo


I just don't know what to do with the nut pulp after I make milk with the nuts. My blender is no very powerful, so I know what I'm straining out could very well be useable protein but there are also a lot of nut fibers in there. I'm going to do more research about maybe using them for baking.

Semolina and Almond Pulp Breakfast Cereal
Makes two servings

1 tablespoon earth balance (optional)
1/2 cup strained nut milk stuff (you know the stuff in the cheesecloth when you strain nut milk)
1/4 cup semolina (cream of wheat)
2 tablespoons molasses
pinch of cinnamon (optional)
pinch of cardamom (optional)
dates and raisins

Melt earth balance in frying pan on medium. Add nut pulp and brown for just 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add semolina and stir for another 2-3 minutes. Add date pieces (I used 2 chopped dates) and stir well. Turn heat to medium-low. Add molasses and mix thoroughly, scraping bottom of pan so molasses doesn't stick. Add water and stir well. Add raisins and spices. Cook on medium-low for a few minutes until all water is absorbed.

Vegan MoFoNoMo
I don't know what happened, but I'm not on the list for Vegan MoFo. Looks like I'll have to wait for next year : ) But I sure love blogging so it probably won't affect the frequency of my posts. Maybe no I can also concentrate a little more on my preschool blog which I've been slacking on lately : |

Caio for now!

3 comments:

  1. Hey grrl, your blog shows up in the mofo feed for me. I don't have a powerful blender either and many of these nut spreads are making me very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Stephanie,

    I like to add the nut milk leftovers to veggie burgers. I have also seen lots of recipes that add them to muffins, pancakes and similar things. I love what you did with yours. It sounds perfect in a breakfast cereal. Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

    hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. snarky: thank you! i wonder why i didn't see it.

    ali: great idea! maybe i'll make neatballs tomorrow and add nut pulp. i bought a new meatball maker so i don't have to burn my hands anymore, and i'm excited to give it a try : )

    ReplyDelete