Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tempeh De-virginized and some sides


Welcome to Vegan MoFo Day 4 : ) I'm really enjoying this, especially after a dry blogging spell last week.

Since my blogging is really just to motivate me to eat (and it has been working, I'm very happy to say) and to cook (meaning that not only do I eat, I eat healthy homecooked food), I usually don't feel that I have much to share. I'm not a kitchen goddess like some of my fellow bloggers, but I'm a pretty good copycat. I'm just trying to get by until this whole cooking-meals-and-eating-them thing comes naturally.

My system lately is to figure out what I have in the fridge and look up recipes during the day to figure out what sounds good in the evening. I often find lots of yummy recipes that I can't implement due to lack of ingredients. But it's nice to have literally a world of recipe options to try.

Last night's dinner was a success, receiving omni- and vegan-approval. I have never tried tempeh (it looks disgusting like moldy cheese!) but we tried it tonight for the first time per my husband's request.


The meal:
Cabbage and Russet Potatoes
Wild Rice

Comments:
Curry: The curry recipe is fabulous, and the more things I try from the Vegan Epicurean blog, the more of her recipes I want to try! There are blogs I follow for recipes, and blogs I follow for inspiration, and blogs I follow for information, and from VE I get all three! I did modify a few things only because of limited ingredients:
-I replaced two cups of tomatoes with tomato paste and water
-I replaced the cardamom powder with whole pods as this is what I tend to see in traditional Indian recipes...and they are fun to chew on at the end of the meal (aids digestion)
-I replaced coriander seeds with a 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, and the ginger root with powder.
Overall, this dish was amazing. Would be better (for me) with only half a lime juice rather than a whole, and if you have a Vita-Mix (I don't) the cashew creme will come out nice and smooth. Mine looked chunky. Still delicious, though! We both really loved this one.

Cabbage: The cabbage was prepared in a very traditional Indian manner. Roast mustard seeds in oil until they pop. Then add cumin seeds and diced green or red chile. Then add one potato (cut very small) and cook until they are browned. Throw a head of cabbage on top of that, and after about five minutes, add asefotida powder, cumin powder, salt and turmeric. When the cabbage is the consistency that you want, take off heat and add chopped cilantro. It's nice to have a dish without onions and garlic once in a while.

Wild Rice: I soaked the rice for a few hours before cooking, and it had a nice flavor. I also added a few fenugreek seeds to the water because I find any excuse to add spices to whatever I'm making.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't the Vegan Epicurean the best? I love her blog so much.

    Your dinner sounds phenomenal. My first tempeh experience was not very good, but I always love it in restaurants. I need to give the bugger another shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean... I'm such a copycat too!
    I have to admit that despite being a vegan (and for quite some time now), I've never tried Tempeh. I don't even know where to find it here in Manchester...
    Your meal looks totally fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    Awwww, thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad I could help you out with tempeh. I wasn't too sure about it at first either. Don't try it raw, I did. Yuck ;-p is all I can say. It definitely needs to be cooked. LOL

    We like tempeh so much now I want to make it at home. I haven't found tempeh starter yet but when I do that will go onto my to do list.

    Thanks again for making my day. I need to pick up the bad little fuzzy at the vet soon. I hope you have a good evening.

    Brigid, thank you also for your kind words. You ladies made my day. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali, Glad to be a positive part of your day! I hope Nicco is doing better : ) He probably fully chewed off his bandage by now...

    Brigid and C.E., thanks for reading : ) And I should have said that I didn't "love" the tempeh and like Ali said, don't start by trying it raw! But it was nice to have substance in the curry.

    ReplyDelete