Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Cuisinart Mini Processor


I have just fallen in love--again--with my mini Cuisinart food processor. It comes out at least once a day, and often I take it right out of the dishwasher to use it again, or just rinse it out knowing I'll be using it again for the next meal. It's a lot less cumbersome than my large processor, making it more handy.

I use it for:
  • sauces and dips
  • last minute spreads for sandwiches when I'm in a hurry
  • small batches of dough
  • mincing garlic or ginger
  • pureeing vegetables
  • mixing up spice mixes before putting them into veggies
Well, this may seem obvious to most because the buttons on the front say "Chop" and "Grind", but I just figured out that I can grind nuts into a nice nutty pulp...almost like nut butter. I bet it will make my sauces a lot smoother than my blender if I use the "grind" feature. A world of opportunities just opened up for this cheap-o who won't invest in a Vita-Mix.

The day I made this discovery, I added these nuts to my oatmeal with some dates, chia seeds, almond milk and cinnamon for a nutty treat!


2 comments:

  1. You probably could make nut butter in your processor. Even with a Vitamix, a person still has to add about 1/4 cup of oil to blend it into a smooth butter, so you may want to try that and see what happens. :)

    Typically, I start with 1 pound of nuts and 1/4 cup oil, and if it's still a bit dry, I add oil 1 tablespoon at a time until it's just right. Normally, 1 extra tablespoon is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gina...thank you for that tip! I just got hazelnut oil from Sur la Table...I wonder if it would add a nice flavor, too.

    ReplyDelete