Sunday, November 14, 2010

Salad, Hold the Radicchio

Most of my salads are hardly noteworthy. I tend to make "Mega Salads" which are a mish mash of everything. Ali at Vegan Epicurean inspired this one, which I felt was worth sharing. There is radicchio in the photo, but I hand picked it out while I was eating it after I tasted it! I thought it was a type of romaine lettuce! Too spicy for this salad!

The photo is awful...sorry about that!


The salad:
Romaine lettuce
Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
Carrot, thinly sliced
Orange zest
Orange pieces, cut with rind on as Ali noted because it has healthful properties and I've also heard it's great for the stomach.

The dressing:
Hazelnut oil
Balsamic vinegar
Nutritional yeast
Dried fenugreek
Shallot (go easy on the shallot!)
A few of those orange pieces from the salad
Black pepper

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I think Ali was saying she just leaves the white part on the oranges, not the rind. That could get pretty bitter if you ate all the rind of every orange you ate!

    I use Ali for inspiration, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy : ) That's what I meant but I didn't know what to call it...I had zested the entire thing first. But I love orange zest (and it's so good for you) so I didn't mind the tiny remnants leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Stephanie, the article I read actually said the membrane (around the orange segment) and the pith (white part) are both good for you but the bitterness is too much for me to eat much pith, though I am trying. Michael Chiarello makes a whole citrus vinaigrette that included the pith (and a ton of oil). It it on my list to modify that dressing to make it healthy.

    Cindy, thanks for your kind words. ;-) I am happy to hear I can give you ideas.

    I hope you are both having a good Tuesday,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete