Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vegan Project Update

It's been a while since I've posted an update on The Vegan Project. I guess Tristan has been vegan (or at least extremely vegetarian) for almost two months. His original intention was to do it for two weeks and then get his cholesterol checked. He never did the cholesterol test, so he didn't change his diet back.

He finally went to the doctor today and was told that before he checks his cholesterol he needs to start exercising more (odd because I think of him as a very regular exerciser). And get this--the doctor told him he needs to eat dairy and gain weight! Hello? So gain weight at the expense of what? If anything I'd say beef up with eggs, then you only have to eat one a week to make a difference (my dog and I gained five pounds--each--in a week just eating a half a hard-boiled egg for a few days that week).

So he is now 149 pounds at 5'11". That is pretty skinny. I noticed it and if he wasn't such a healthy guy I would have been concerned. It's better than being overweight, though.

My opinion is that instead of eating cheese, he should load up on more healthy carbs. But I'm not the boss of him and he'll decide what works for him. Whether it's the healthiest choice long term or not is not for me to say. He's a big boy and he'll make his own decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that is so depressing! It drives me nuts that doctors have no nutrition training but they will hand out bad advice. *rolls eyes*

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, wholeheartedly. And this MD is dispensing this advice to someone who has weight problems running rampant on both sides of his family. And he gave Tristan the classic "you need more iron and B vitamins" without even having bloodwork done. I give him lots of iron- and B-vitamin rich food. Yes, it takes effort, but I sneak in nutritional yeast every chance I get.

    ReplyDelete