Thursday, November 11, 2010

Compost Bin

When you generate as much food waste as we do, the tiny worm bin just can't handle the load.

This guy (above) gets filled up in just a few days time.


I found this drill bit thingy, whatever it's called, in the garage to make holes in the garbage can that would become my next compost bin.

Those fancy striped pajama bottoms would indicate that I'm still in my pj's at noon.

I drilled holes on the bottom and on the sides.

When I was done, I also drilled a few large holes intermittently so there would be lots of ventilation.


I added some leaves and the first round of food waste. I didn't drill holes in the lid of the garbage can because when it rains it may spoil the compost.

What will go into the compost bin?
  • fruit and vegetable peelings, cores, rinds, etc. (no citrus, onions, or garlic)
  • used paper towels
  • dry yard waste
  • leftover kid snacks and garbage (it's always vegetarian). This will limit our use of plastic garbage bags as they won't have to be changed every day as they are now.
Come next spring, we should have a nice layer of compost to add to the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment