Thursday, October 21, 2010

Foodborne illness is not just an omnivore's dilemma!


Recently, I changed my veggie prep practices after a friend told me that she washes her veggies in a vinegar rinse because she's heard of many foodborne illnesses that live on fresh veggies and fruits. I usually, at the start of my prepping, fill a bowl with water and a dollop of vinegar and scrub the veggies in the solution for a few seconds. I change the water if it gets too funky, or if I wash something not labelled organic. I've become a bit obsessive about all of this, actually.

Well, now I'm wondering if I'm being cautious enough after reading this article about the Texas celery plant contaminating ten people with Listeria monocytogenes and killing five of them. While I'm not informed on what that is exactly, it definitely sounds like something I'd like to keep off of my plate.

Salmonella-infused peanut butter, spinach laced with e. coli...what's a vegan to do?

Kinda makes me want to just grow my own food.

No comments:

Post a Comment