Friday, October 29, 2010

This Week's Recap

I've disappeared into the non-cyber world due to a really, really busy week. Had to plan our preschoolers' Halloween Party (it was super fun!) plus get ready to go out of town this weekend (aaah, a women's retreat where all the cooking and cleaning is done for us--I can't believe I won't be washing another dish until Sunday night).

I did come across this article on saffron (however, I usually take these things with a grain of sat). Summary: There was a study in which the women who took saffron capsules snacked 50% less by the end of the study than the women who took placebos, likely due to the stress-inhibiting component of saffron. Makes sense why so many Indian snacks have saffron.

I can't wait to make these dehydrated (I'll use my oven) multi-seed crackers, or some variation of them. They look so easy and filling and use flax seed as the binder. She also posted Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes earlier this week which I am also excited to try, just because of the pumpkin in the latte!

I heard an interview with Mark Bittman the other day on NPR and got a really good idea--vegan BLT's. Of course, if you are me, you like to splurge on fried, veggie bacon (I know, I know). They turned out really good, and are a nice compromise for the omnivore-vegan divide. Tristan loved them : ) I think this guy may be a good resource for Tristan, who is still 99% vegan (he had to get cheese on his burrito the other day!). Bittman is all about increasing plant-food intake for health, much like Tristan. For me it's about animal cruelty and the horrifying ways that we raise our animal products. I'm sure that for some people animal protein is healthy. Not this vegan, though.

Can't wait to catch up on my rss feeds and see what everyone has been blogging about this week!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your weekend it sounds great. Glad to here the mister is still mostly vegan. That has to help his cholesterol.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete