Monday, October 25, 2010

Vegan Neatball Dinner, OMG He Made Me Dinner & ACV for my cold

I took a good meatball recipe and made it better.


That photo is leftovers (ie. tomorrow's lunch) from tonight's dinner. It contains:
Vegan "Meatballs", but let's call them "Neatballs"
Brown Rice Fusilli Pasta w/store bought pasta sauce
Chopped Steamed Spinach
Toasted Pine Nuts

The Neatballs:
I will try to remember the ingredients

In a large bowl, I mixed:
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups cooked french lentils
1/4 cup tomato paste (I found some sold in a glass jar! Yippee!)
Dry mixture (1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup wheat germ, 1/4 cup toasted brown rice flour, 1/4 teaspoon italian seasoning mix, 3/4 cup nutritional yeast, 5 grinds of black pepper, a shake or so of garlic powder)
Sauteed mixture (onions and garlic, to your liking...I browned the onions and barely cooked the garlic)
Bragg's Liquid Aminos or salt to taste (added at the very end)
Water to make a nice sticky consistency

Scoop into balls (I used an ice cream scoop). Bake on lightly oiled baking tray (I used glass) for 20-25 minutes on 375. Optional: halfway through the baking, brush BBQ sauce (but warning...it has sugar).

The texture was nice, they didn't fall apart. The perfect "bite" was a little bit of everything on the fork.

Warning: My mouth still tastes of garlic. I used three cloves in the garbanzo spread and 3 or 4 in the meatballs. To be honest, I probably could have left the garlic out of the neatballs altogether.


OMG He Made Me Dinner
So my omnivore is still a vegan. At this point, I don't know what his hold up about eating meat is. However, while I was making dinner tonight, he went out and did yard work (after a whole day of work!), and then came in and literally started doing push-ups and sit-ups. I guess the toxins have passed and he's in vegan euphoria.

So this is what he made on Saturday night, probably because I've been so sick that I've not been cooking.

Spanish rice
Pinto beans
Fresh heirloom tomatoes
Guacamole
Store-bought whole wheat tortillas

The whole meal was very good. I was impressed. I don't know where he got the recipes except that they were online.

Apple Cider Vinegar

I've had a rough past few days. I had the beginning of a cold, so I got some extra rest and it started to go away. Then I worked too hard for too long and my cold just went berserk. Green mucous, coughing, a lot of irritation in the sinuses, eyes, ears, and throat, and even got a little feverish yesterday.

This morning I woke up and drank a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in (ugh...I actually only drank half of it), and within thirty minutes, my mucous turned clear and I had energy. Not a lot of energy, and my nose was still runny, but what an improvement from yesterday, where I spent the entire day in bed.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow to try to kick this thing. I'm only about 50% restored at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting neatball recipe thanks for sharing it. Sorry to hear you are still fighting your cold. I hope it gets resolved soon. Thanks for the link.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete