Sunday, October 31, 2010

Vegan Enchiladas

These enchiladas sure were delicious, but no photos (sorry--lazy!). These flavorful enchiladas broke the boundaries of my usual bland cooking. These could be filled with many things, but I used veggies from my CSA box and stuff I found in the fridge.

Since I don't have photos of my yummy food, I'll post my yummy dogs instead.


Vegan Vegetable and Black Bean Enchiladas
Rating: 5 stars
Omnivore's opinion: He ate waaaay too much ; )

Filling:
Saute onions, carrots, unpeeled potatoes, yellow beets. Cover with vegetable stock and add salt and a can of black beans (drained and rinsed). Cook uncovered until the stock cooks down, and then cover until stock is absorbed and potato is soft.

Wraps:
Spelt Flour Tortillas

Enchilada Sauce:
Make a roux over medium heat out of flour and vegetable stock. Add chili powder until the color is darkish red. Stir until smooth. Add some garlic powder (a teaspoon or so) and salt. Add small scoops of tomato paste until the flavor and color seem right. A dash of rice vinegar or lemon juice adds a nice zing.

Not-Cheese:
Hummus, a whopping amount of nutritional yeast, and a few cilantro leaves with water to process, lightly drizzled on top of everything.

Sides:
Rice
Braised baby bok choy

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds delicious. It is definitely a good sign that your hubby ate too much. At least that is a good sign here. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete