Sunday, October 17, 2010

Smoothie Win and Bean Dip Fail

Fig and Date Smoothie
4 stars (my star rating standard changed since visiting this awesome vegan restaurant last night)
2 cups almond milk (or vegan alternative)
3 fresh purple figs
3 pitted dates
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon raw almond butter (optional)

Blend until smooth. Try not to let anyone see you licking the blender.

***

Bean Dip FAIL
Remember this bean dip? I finished it off today and wanted to make more. I didn't have the ingredients. I tried to improvise. It was awful. So I just kept adding stuff until it was not as awful. Then I cooked it on low to see if heat would give it the magic touch, and it was still awful. But I saved it as an emergency bean dip for tomorrow.

What I did differently:
garlic powder to sub fresh garlic--FAIL
butter beans to substitute cannelini beans--FAIL
I added spinach to turn it into a spinach dip--FAIL

I suggest (to myself!) following the recipe next time. Just because I've successfully copied others' recipes of late doesn't mean I have turned a new leaf in my cheffing skills.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the bean dip fail. However each time something doesn't quite turn out as you expect you do learn. I had many things in the beginning that I didn't love. The important thing is to keep trying. ;-) Cooking is like everything else it just takes practice.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, thanks for the encouragement : ) Yes, we always learn and keep trying, right? I was really inspired by this post: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/10/17/project-food-blog-challenge-5-a-pizza-complex/ because of her numerous attempts to make the perfect pizza dough. It made me want to do that with tortillas...try, try again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    That sounds like the perfect attitude. Just keep trying until you get it right. :-) I always try to think of failures as a learning experience. You only fail if you stop trying.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete